Monday, April 30, 2007

fantasyland

I've had these certain fantasies or ideals throughout my life. I'm not sure where they came from, but through talks with my sister I've discovered she has some of the same. It must have been through a series of events in our childhood that made us kindred in this way. Or maybe it's just genetics because we're sisters.

In any case, I've always had this fantasy... (I'm pretty sure it stems from watching Dirty Dancing and the like.) When we have kids I dream of being the type of people to have a vacation home on a lake... it doesn't have to be anything extravagant; in fact, the cheaper and more quaint the better. Rustic, even. I want to have somewhere that, during the summer months, I pack up the kids and the dogs and we live at the lake house and Adam comes up on the weekends and joins us (because somebody has to bring home the bacon while I take care of the kids, duh!). During the week we build sandcastles and swim and tan and read books and do puzzles and play Monopoly and grill out and sleep on the enclosed screen porch and climb trees and take hikes and ride bikes and go out on paddle boats and listen to music and make new friends and I sit out on the porch drinking iced tea and crocheting something or reading a book while I'm nursing the youngest baby and watch them play in the dirt and make mudpies and I don't care how dirty they are because they're having so much fun.

It's been on my mind a lot lately. I guess because that's something I wish I could have done growing up and something I really would have enjoyed and I think anybody would enjoy. I don't even have kids yet and I'm already worried about them having a real childhood. I want my kids to be kids. Anyway, enough fantasyland! I can picture the cabin in my head already. :)

120/365:

No comments: